Honey. Not only is it the perfect little sweet touch to smoothies, yoghurt or cakes – it also has some alternative uses that will surprise you.
I was reading an article all about the uses of honey and thought I would share my top 15 uses which I found interesting. But first a little fun fact; the average person consumes 500gms of honey in 1 year. What busy bees!!
15 USES FOR HONEY THAT WILL SURPRISE YOU
1. Moisturise your skin; Rub onto your skin, leave for 30 mins and then wash off!
2. Repair damaged hair; Add a teaspoon to a dollop of regular conditioner and let it soak in for 20 minutes before shampooing.
3. Soothing bath; add 2 Tablespoons of honey to a hot bath for a skin soothing natural alternative.
4. Homemade facial; got lemons, avocados and honey? you have a DIY facial. Mix equal parts of each ingredient and apply to face. Add a teaspoon of raw sugar for an exfoliating effect too.
5. Thwart allergies; consuming raw honey, in particularly Manuka honey, will help your body build a strong immune system.
6. Stress-free sleep; dab a little honey on your tongue or in a herbal tea before going to bed.
7. Mouthwash; if you hate the taste of Listerine minty mouth wash make your own. Simply mix 1 cup filtered water, 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp baking soda, 4 drops peppermint oil and stevia (optional). mix and swish!
8. Treat eczema; mix equal parts of honey and cinnamon and apply it to eczema to ease the itch. Sounds tasty!!
9. Boost immune system; lemon, hot water and honey is not just beneficial when you are sick. In fact you should be drinking it to strengthen your immune system and prevent getting colds and flus.
10. Tame digestion; Take one or two tablespoons of honey before meals to ease digestion problems.
11. Honey lemonade; mix 1/2 cup honey with 1 cup boiling water, 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice and 4 cups cold water. Add a little coconut sugar or stevia if you are a sweet tooth.
12. Cure hangovers; add to water and drink. Honey helps eliminate the toxic compounds resulting from the metabolism of alcohol.
13. Use on cuts, burns and bruises; Honey has natural antiseptic qualities so apply a thin layer to the spot and helps heal those wounds.
14. Lip balm; not only will it taste nice but honeys soothing qualities will make for the perfect lip balm. Just try not to lick it all off!
15. Boost athletic performance; The perfect pre workout boost. Have some honey and peanut butter on rice cakes or toast before your next workout. Don’t have a toaster? Simply peel a banana and drizzle some honey over each bite!
So it’s time to pass the honey, honey and not just for your yoghurt or breakfast!!